Friday, May 4, 2012

Funeral Card Friday - Clarence Martin Richards

This was found in a box of pictures.  I did not know who Clarence M. Richards was but assumed he was a friend of the family.
The notice states he was 29 years old when he died August 29, 1937 in Brady Hospital.  Funeral services were held at the Hanna Cemetery at Cherokee, Texas Monday, August 30 at 2 o'clock.

An image of his death certificate is on familysearch.org.  From it I learned he was born 16 Aug 1908 in Cherokee, San Saba, Texas so my parents must have gone to school with him since he was less than one year older than my father.  Clarence was the son of J. B. and Maude Dickson Richards.  He was an employee of a butane gas company.  He died in Brady from a broken neck and basal skull fracture from a motorcycle accident on August 26th on Highway 9 in Melvin, Texas.  It said he was single and a resident of San Angelo, Texas.


 Using my subscription to World Vital Records, I found this article on page 7 of the Galveston Daily News published on August 30.  Unfortunaately it did not provide any additional information about the accident, but I was surprised to find an article in a Galveston paper.  There are no San Angelo newspapers on WVR and none for this date in the San Saba papers on that website.
I've added the funeral notice to Clarence's memorial page on findagrave.com in case someone researching his family doesn't have a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment