Monday, October 8, 2012

Military Monday - Wilber Franklin Conley

For quite some time I've put aside photos and articles about or from my mother's brother with the intention of posting them in this blog.  My preference is to do things in some sort of order, but today I decided to jump from researching my paternal Robbins families in Arkansas and Texas to posting a few things about Uncle Wilber and continue posting a few at a time on Military Mondays.




Notes I've taken while talking to his wife, my Aunt Goldie, tell me he was inducted into the Army Air Corps in Abilene, Texas on the 7th of April 1942.  He and Goldie married in Wichita Falls, Texas while he was in basic training at Sheppard Field.  From there he went to Oklahoma.

The back of this photo has
CAPITOL HILL
POSE UR SELF
     STUDIO 
OKLAHOMA CITY
stamped across it.





Something else Mother had in a box of photos is this post card.  The postmark is Oklahoma City, Okla on July 31, 1942.  Uncle Wilber's return addess is 17th Supply Squadron, Tent City, Will Rogers Field, Oklahoma. On Wikipedia I found "During World War II, the United States Army Air Forces (AAF) established numerous airfields in Oklahoma for training pilots and aircrews of AAF fighters and bombers or as major maintenance and supply centers."  Another website has a document listing 50 Firsts in Tinker AFB History and number 13 is "First troops arrived at Tent City, Will Rogers Field -- the temporary quarters for enlisted personnel, 1 April 1942.



1 comment: