Friday, March 2, 2012

Today is Texas Independence Day and Texas Flag Day and Sam Houston's Birthday

The Texas Declaration of Independence was signed on March 2, 1836.  We also observe it as Texas Flag Day because the Lone Star flag represents our pride in our history as Texans.  Sam Houston was born on this day in 1793 in Virginia.  He became a Governor of Tennessee, but later was a hero of the Texas Revolution, served two separate times as President of the Republic of Texas, and became a U. S. Senator in 1846 when Texas became a state and the Republic was no more.
I feel so fortunate I was able to prove I had ancestors here even before Texas became a Republic in 1836.  This was accomplished with the help of two relatives who worked with me on our Robbins family history.  One was Lelah Mae Robbins Horton who so generously shared everything she had done when I showed an interest in genealogy somewhere around 1970.  Back in the days before email, home computers, and printer/copiers, we sent many letters and documents to each other via the mail and I typed some of her handwritten notes for her. 
Lelah's previous research was an invaluable part, but later my Aunt Lou, Josiephene Elouise Robbins Harris, was my main partner in our quest to prove our lineage to become members of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.  She was born on this day in 1913, so I remember and celebrate these events each year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment